Friday, February 22, 2019

Dollar Day friYAY!

I found this plastic hand mirror at
Dollar Tree
a few weeks ago.

I had an idea of what I wanted to do with it,
but it went a completely different way.
I still may try my original idea,
so I will keep that to myself for now.

I covered the mirror with 2 coats of
Deco Art in Spa Blue.

Once the blue was dry,
I dry brushed some creamy white chalk paint
lightly over the surface.

That was followed by a coat of this product.
(I had a huge stockpile of this from years back,
not sure whether it is still available.
You could probably substitute a clear varnish with a drop of brown paint.)
I dabbed the wet varnish with paper towels as I worked,
I did not want it to be a solid coat.

Here is a close-up of the look I wanted.

I cut an oval from scrapbook paper
and affixed it to the mirror with ATG,
and went about layering all these pretties.

Sometimes it is just fun to play,
and this was one of those times.

SOURCES:
papers and stickers: Maggie Holmes for Crate Paper/American Crafts
swan die: Brenda Walton for Sizzix
Deco Art paints: Hobby Lobby
assorted paper flowers: mostly Ebay
seam binding: "iced lime" Zipper Stop on Etsy
mirror: Dollar Tree

happy weekend,
and happy hugs,
Kim

7 comments:

Erica H said...

This is adorable! I think a stop at the Dollar Tree is on my to do list this weekend.

Donetta said...

Kim, I swear...you make the coolest stuff! I have so enjoyed getting to know you through your blog...so much inspiration! I just love the mirror, and I think it looks like something that would cost many dollars to buy.

Marilyn McLeod @ Pink Paper Cottage said...

What a darling idea! It turned out so sweet and pretty, and it looks "old" too! I love that green seam binding.. such a pretty color. I went to Zipper Stop on Etsy but they don't have any of it. I'll have to search elsewhere. What a pretty gift for someone! Marilyn

rush said...

What a nice project! I think you're trying to hurry spring along with those luscious flowers!

Tamara said...

That turned out so pretty! The colors are gorgeous! Your projects always inspire me. Thanks for sharing....

Tamara

Createology said...

Kim you have created such a treasure from a cheap cheesy dollar store find. Your magic is amazing.

jeanniemc said...

That mirror is stunning! How creative!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...